Revolutionary New Beacon Technology is here
You hear Trevor Winckworth, CEO of In Hand Guides
– in conversation with Paul O’Mahony.
– recorded in Clayton Hotel Cork
We were catching up on news from inside In Hand Guides.
What’s been happening recently?
(1) In Hand Guides has new beacon technology – takes over the audioplayer when visitors are on site – as you enter the ‘room’, the audio is triggered, you automatically hear the guide
(2) Spike Island – Ireland’s Alcatraz – there are 40 “points of interest” – beacons. For example, Spike Island Riot Room – a beacon in every cell – stories – Republican prisoners – information points around the island
(3) The triggering technology is patented – worldwide
(4) Big change – from high-cost complex systems to low-cost simple system
(5) Thank goodness we “De-mystify the whole thing”
(6) The audio is always on the player – visitors take it home – play it later
(7) CIT [Cork Institute of Technology] Nimbus developed the system for us